Indonesia Comic Con 2015 : A Journal


.

warnings: i write and speak broken english; lack of proper photo documentation; basically this is just me fangirling; low quality pictures because apparently my phone camera is not from this era

.
.
.

As you may know that I have an interest in pop culture, be it in form of music, movies, comics, fictions, and many more. Last weekend I got the chance to go to Indonesia Comic Con, held from 14-15th of November 2015 located at Jakarta Convention Center. This is my first time going to ICC--I rarely visit conventions because honestly I'm not good with crowds. My sole reason for going to ICC 2015 was because two of my favorite Vocaloid music composers (usually abbreviated as VocaP) were invited as guests. And one of them is my ultimate VocaP bias (in wota term, I usually refer to him as 'my oshi' lol), sasakure.UK.

screencaptured from http://www.indonesiacomiccon.com/guests/2015-guests/sasakureuk
I was really excited since I heard the rumors about him will visit Indonesia since MikuExpo, so when he's coming here for real of course I'm so happy. I really like his music. He said that his music style is "pop meets depth" and I dare to say that his statement is true. I love how he wrote meaningful, pretty lyrics, combined by beautiful melodies and sometimes cute chiptunes. Also, he sometimes write a song based on famous literature works, such as The Little Prince (to Asteroid B-612), Little Mermaid (Little Cry of the Abyss), or The Boy Who Cried Wolf (The Soliloquy of the Boy Who Cried Wolf). As a self-proclaimed literature nerd, this is important for me.

So I went to ICC 2015 on Sunday, since he was scheduled to perform that day along with Yuyoyuppe (the other VocaP guest) as a DJ. Also because the ticket was kinda pricey for me so I could only afford a ticket for one day. I arrived when there was a panel discussion about Vocaloid music production, in which sasakure and REDSHIFT are the panelists. (For you who doesn't know, REDSHIFT is a Vocaloid producer team from Indonesia, you can access their profile here.) They talked about their inspirations in music, their favorite music, and so many things regarding their passion in music. I didn't follow the discussion properly since I had to meet my friend who was already waiting for me ^^;;

After the panel ends, I looked around with my friend for a little while. There was a lot of people (of course, Captain Obvious!) and interesting attractions like Maid - Butler Cafe, Game Station, and Diorama Room. Since ICC is a big convention, of course it had a lot of attractions and booths. I also saw so many cool cosplays, too bad I didn't have any documentation of the cosplayers.

We went back to the guests' booth not long after that, and I decided to buy one of sasakure's albums sold there. I was kinda disappointed since he didn't sell his latest album there (but well I also didn't have much money ... ) so I bought a tribute album for sasakure, titled VRUSH UP #1. It contains remixes from sasakure's notable songs, such as Faraway Spring and Wanderlast. Okay, this is embarrassing, but I was shaking intensely when the seller lady (I assume she's his assistant for this event) asked me whether I want sasakure to sign my album and take a photo with him. Well, of course I want to (I don't meet him everyday, after all--just through his music) so I waited in line.

Man, so it was fansign feels like.

I greeted him with my broken Japanese and when he started signing, I nervously told him that I'm a big fan. He seemed a little bit surprised and thanked me, saying that he's happy to hear that. Actually I wanted to talk some more, I really wanted to thanked him for his music--especially for to Asteroid B-612 since without that song I would never find one of my favorite literature works ever, The Little Prince. But my brain went kinda freezing, I was busy shaking, I couldn't get myself to say how Little Cry from The Abyss and to Asteroid B-612 moved me (and how those two songs are my ultimate favorite from his discography) all I could said to him was "Thank you, keep making music okay?" when in reality (in my head, actually) I really wanted to say a lot more than that.

I curse my phone camera for the quality of the picture.



I literally ran away from his booth after saying thanks (see how brains sometimes decided to be stupid at wrong moments) and my friend had to deal with my excitement (sorry, dear :"3). 

We were back in our adventure (?) after that, waiting for sasakure and Yuyoyuppe's performing schedule. There was a conference press about a new Indonesian superhero movie titled Jagoan Instan (lit. translated as Instant Hero) and a short quiz before the performance. I was lucky to get a place near the stage, despite not being in the front row that place was kinda comfy and there were seats. I usually get tired of standing easily, so that place was good for me. 

The staffs gave the audiences glow sticks to enliven the stage! That was my first time using a glow stick so I didn't know ... how ... to make it glow ... (yes I'm a total noobs so sorry). When I discovered that we should somewhat snap the stick to make it glow I was really surprised, lol. 


sasakure performed first with Kokoronotomo. I didn't really remember the setlist, just the notable ones like Kamen Rider Black (why did I mention this first ...), Just Be Friends, Senbonzakura, World is Mine, Utada Hikaru's First Love, Tiger Rampage, Meltdown, Hello Planet, Tell Your World, 39, and Kokoro. When he performed 39 I shouted "SANKYUU!" (note: 3 is san in Japanese and 9 is kyu, so sometimes Japanese wrote 39 as an expression of gratitude: 39 -> sankyu -> thank you) so loudly because yeah, at that time I still wanted to thank him for his songs ;;

 Yuyoyuppe joined the stage when Hello Planet was performed. So sasakure gave the stage for him, and man, he was really good hyping the audience. He was really energetic on stage, sang and dance a bit. His choice of songs were also good too. The audience sang along during Doraemon no Uta, Koji Wada's Butterfly, Unravel, Good Times, PoPiPo, and many other songs I couldn't remember. I once hoped that he would perform Leia or Reon but well ... he didn't, too bad. And have I said that he was really cute? I mean he talked about not wanting to go home and stay here and asking the audience "Sudah makan?" (Have you eaten yet?) when he began his performance and when he ended it. I love his energy and also his fanservice. He sometimes made heart signs, high-fived with the audiences at the front row, and even threw himself to the audience.

I had a lot of fun watching their performances. The performance was 2 hours long, and after the performance we decided to go home since tomorrow (aka today, Monday the 16th) we would have a quiz. We left after I accompanied my friend to take a photo with Yuppe, and came home tired. Nonetheless, it was really a great experience. Hope to meet them again (or perhaps, another VocaPs!) in another occasion! If I get the chance to met sasakure again, I will properly told him my gratitude.

Thank you Indonesia Comic Con, yesterday was a blast.

I will take care properly of this baby.

Your Reply